Wednesday 24 April 2013

Evaluation


1) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
The opening scene for my film is a thriller. I had got inspiration from the film Jumanji, I used this as inspiration as I thought I would be able to recreate the basic storyline with a family and a board game in my own house with my family. Jumanji a film that came out in 1995 based on a supernatural board game that causes different hazards and effects to the people playing the game. The 1995 American fantasy adventure film was directed by Joe Johnston (also director of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1995), and Jurassic Park 3 (2001) and is based on Chris Van Allsburg's book Jumanji.

The incidental music that runs in the background of the film follows the conventions of a thriller film as it creates a spooky and intense atmosphere. The music accompanies the activity going on in the scene because as the tension builds in the film the sound and the pace of the music also builds. I had got inspiration with the music from the film Halloween as in the film the pace and the intensity of the music built up as something dramatic or scary happened in the opening scene. Without this I don’t feel the opening scene would feel as dramatic as it would with the music. I have used only one incidental piece of music throughout the opening scene, this inspiration also came from Halloween as they only have once piece of music through their opening scene. The music starts very faintly as the title sequence is playing, this is done to hype the audience from the beginning of the film. I found the dramatic scene would appear more dramatic if the scenes with less action had less or quitter music. As well as an incidental track I had also added sound effects of somebody screaming and the sound of a message being received on a mobile, these extra diegetic sounds had been added because the real sounds that had been included in the filming wasn’t as effect as I had hoped they would be and so added sound effects made the sounds clearer.
As well as the filming I also had to make a title sequence and film logo which I felt represented the film and the genre best. I had already done some research into different thriller film titles. Majority of the thriller film titles that I had looked into had a black background with white text and so this is what I decided to include in my title. The font I used for the title sequence is very simple and crisp. I wanted the text to be the same or close to similar font that is used on the letters that are used on the game in the film. I got inspiration for the actual title The Game from imdb.com. I had searched the best thriller films and decided to have a look at the titles of the films; majority of the films had very short titles mainly containing only 2 words such as: Cape Fear, Identity, The Machinist and Se7en which I had researched before. I felt the title “The Game” was very simple, direct and to the point like the films I had found in my research.
My first design for the film title was to have scrabble letters that came into the middle of screen to create the words “The Game” I had created this on PowerPoint and then used a converter to convert the file into a file that could be used in Adobe Premier.

I had decided not to use this image as I didn’t feel it followed the conventions of a thriller film and although it looked good it didn’t look like a traditional thriller film. The image didn’t appear spooky or creepy even though the letter moved like the letters on the board in the game.
I then had another attempt at creating a title on dafont.com it allowed me to search a range of different fonts depending on the category I had chosen, and then I typed in the name of the title, changed the colour, saved the title and then imported it onto Adobe Premier. I wanted the image of the film title to relate to the actual film and so I decided to use a scrabble font that was available on the website. I used the scrabble font because of the scrabble letters that I
used in the film to create the words that had been moved by spirits. The font appeared to be perfect for the genre as some of the letters looked scuffed up which created a spooky thriller feel. In Adobe Premier I duplicated the frame a couple of times and shorted some of the frames to give the illusion the title had flashed on and off and back on again.
 I feel I have challenged the conventions by including a brown female as one of the characters in
my thriller opening. British thrillers films tend to have a Caucasian actor or actress play one of the main parts in the film. Also I have another character that wears glasses, the glasses create that geek image someone with knowledge and intelligence. The characters wear clothing that they would wear on a regular basis, I haven’t got them to wear anything that could signal or symbolise anything as I wanted them to look like a normal family playing this game.   
The location in which the film was set follows conventions of a thriller film although some thrillers are set at haunted or isolated houses in the middle of nowhere. I had to change the lighting to a dark blue using the fast colour corrector, this created the feeling of a dark and mysterious atmosphere whereas before the room was well lit which didn’t make the scenes look very spooky at all. The blue created the cold and dark illusion without making the scenes too dark so the audience couldn’t see them. At the point where the letters on the board change I have changed the colour to an even darker colour blue this then creates more of an atmosphere and also makes the audience focus on the frame and what is happening in the scene.  

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?

I feel my film would be suitable for teenagers and younger adults. The characters in my film are both younger and also older than the traditional typical young adults that would be the main characters in a thriller film. I feel having a younger generation and older generation characters present the fear and naivety better than young adults, also I feel a younger character will be able to present that element of fear and being scared better as they are less aware of the unknown. Three of the characters follow the conventions for a thriller film as they are Caucasian yet I also have another character which isn’t Caucasian and doesn’t follow the traditional conventions of a thriller film. My thriller film challenged conventions by linking the end of the film to the beginning. In thriller films that I have previously watched the story line doesn’t link to the beginning it is normally a series of events that build up to a massive ending. In my film because George, the youngest character, says he doesn’t believe in spirits the actual spirits decided to haunt him.


3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?  
Hammer films is a production company that is based in the UK. They produce science fiction and thriller films. Some of the films they have produced are The Mummy (1959), The Resident (2011) and The Women in Black. I feel this production institution could distribute my film as it is similar
to the style of films they already distribute and also they are not a massive production company such as Warner Bros, they distribute films that are on a lower budget- like my own. I don’t think my opening scene would be distributed by a big budget company such as Warner Bros as it isn’t the type of film that required things such as CGI, added explosions, stunt doubles or green screen shooting.
4. Who would be the audience for your media product?
In order to find what type of audience would be suitable for my film I decided to research into the Motion Picture Rating System for the United Kingdom. This told me the different age classifications and why they had been set at that age.
U (Universal) This film classification is a film that is suitable for audiences over the age of 4
PG (Parental Guidance) The content in PG films should be suitable for a child 8 or over, although it is advised that the parent decided whether they feel it is appropriate for their child as some of the content could upset children.
12A (Accompanied) The films in this classification are recommended for 12 year olds and older, although if someone wants to see the film at the cinema they must be with an adult to view it.
12 Nobody under the age of 12 can buy or rent a film that is rated “12”
15 Suitable for audiences 15 years of age and older. Nobody who is younger than 15 can watch a “15” film at the cinema or buy or rent a “15” film from a store.
18 The films with this classification are suitable for adults only. Nobody younger than 18 can see a “18” rated film or buy or rent a film that is rated “18” Films that are suitable for adults only normally contain extreme gore or violence and or can contain sexually, explicit content.
I have given my film the rating of a 12A because I don’t feel that it would be suitable to have a PG rating as some scenes such as the door slamming and the atmosphere from the music could become a bit too scary for somebody 8 and under. I wouldn’t change the rating to any higher because I don’t think the content is specifically scary and it doesn’t contain any gore or violence to be classes as a 18 rated film. My film would be suitable for both females and males as there isn’t any specific theme that would only apply to one gender. There are both female and male characters in the film and so both genders will be able to connect with a character.  I did a questionnaire about thriller films and found out that is it manly males that would decide to watch a thriller film.  I have attempted to challenge the conventions of a thriller film by making my film appealing to both males and females.
The types of audience that I would expect to watch my film would be in-between working class and middle class this is because I feel they would be able to connect with the characters better than upper class. I also don’t feel that my type of film would be a film that somebody from an upper class background would want to see. I think the film would appeal to White Caucasians as well as other ethnic groups as it has characters from two different ethnic groups.
5. How did you attract/address your audience?
I have attracted the audience by having the storyline about a usual family playing a scary game in their own living room. The role of the family then targets all ages of the public, children as well as adults. I had to make the film appealing to adults as well, as the film being a rating “12A” it would mean that some adults would have to come to see the film with their children and so I had to make it appealing to them as well. The storyline simply is to get the audience of the hype of being scared, people enjoy watching thriller films to be thrilled and to be scared at the end.
The characters are of different ages and different genders and ethnic groups yet again this targets a wide range of the audience. The youngest character attracts the younger audience, the teenage character attracts the teenage audience and the two older characters attract the older audience, the characters together will attract families to come and watch the film at cinemas or to buy it on DVD.
To attract the audience to see my film at the cinema I would create a trailer and also posters or billboards, and newspaper magazines. I would have the posters published in both male and female magazines as I want the audience to be from both genders. I would makes sure that my advertisements are shown at the cinemas before thriller films that are out at the time are shown, as the people watching the current film would be the type of audience that would hopefully want to watch my film. I think a good idea for advertising would be to have the letters used on the board applied onto billboards; if these were randomly spread around the UK it would leave people wondering what they were for. Closer to the release of the film I could give the public more and more clues into the film.
6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
I have learnt a lot about using the different equipment and software while making my film. I have
updated and learnt some more skills and ways to use Adobe Premier such as how to change the colour of the frame and scene using the fast colour corrector. I have also used the different lighting such as the spotlight to focus the audience’s eye on a specific point on the image. I also learnt how to add music, sound effects and titles to make the film more realistic and make it appear better. Before I could edit my film I had to create it, I have learnt how to use the cameras to film and how to transfer the files onto the Mac’s. I have learnt how to use various font generator websites such as dafont.co.uk which allowed me access to really cool fonts that wasn’t on the Mac’s. I could then save them and import them into my film. I have also learnt how to record all the changes and research I have done on Blogspot.co.uk. On this I have learnt how to add text, copy and paste text from a work document as well as imbed pictures and video clips.
7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
I defiantly found this task needed a lot more preparation and research in comparison to the preliminary task. The filming and the editing took longer as well because it was important that all the shots were perfectly done. I first started planning out this with another student in my class as we was going to film the project together until she dropped out of the course meaning I had to now create the film by myself. When I did the preliminary task I worked with 3 other people from my class, I now am glad I worked by myself for the project because it meant I didn’t have to wait around to film when other people in my group would have been convenient. Using the camera was the same as when I shot for the preliminary task, I felt more confident using the camera because I had used it before and I had also better knowledge of camera angles. I tried to include some of the camera angles I had learnt such as reverse-shot-reverse, over the shoulder shot, zooming, close ups and extreme close ups.






No comments:

Post a Comment